11.9.08

God Bless America

I remember where I was on this day in 2001 when I heard about the plane crashing in to the first tower of the world trade center.

I was living at my Mom and Dad's house in Mesa, just getting ready to leave for college, I was happy to spend a few more weeks with my family before I left. I was asleep when I was startled by my sister Aimee, who came in my room and told me that a plane had just hit the world trade center. I was very groggy and I didn't know what to think of it all, but I stumbled in to the living room and saw one of the memorable sites I'd ever seen. It was the smoke billowing out of the first tower.

My Dad is so smart and he was sort of narrating the whole thing for us all, explaining to us what may have happened and how this is going to affect the future of America. We all sat stunned in front of the television for quite some time, and then we watched again and again as they showed footage of the second plane hitting the second tower. I remember feeling like my stomach was aching and there was no way to fix it!

Then when stories of the plane hitting the pentagon and flight 93 came out later on that day we were so confused as to who would plan and carry out such an atrocity! So many people became heroes on that day, and so many people suffered great pain! All the while I sat in the comfort of my home with my loved ones.

Recently Joe and I watched flight 93 for the second time. (The first time I saw it, I was pregnant with Ethan and he literally turned in my stomach at the end) Well the second time we watched it, we were in the living room so we had time to discuss things as they progressed through the movie. And one thing Joe mentioned was, "The Islams have another thing coming to them if they think that they have virgins and riches waiting for them when they die." As true as that is, I feel that because they were taught these things from childhood, they had no choice but to follow through with them!

It makes me grateful for what I have and what I know. I know that the Lord wants me to be happy, and wants good things for me, and the tragic act against America by those men on September 11th was anything but happy and good.

I just wanted to take the chance to say that I remember what happened on that day, I'm proud to be an American, and God Bless America.

2 comments:

Aimee's Family Journal said...

Joes take is just halarious. That is something that I can imagine him saying. I loved that post Ash! That flight 93 has been on TV a few nights recently. Tough to watch, but necessary.

Larsens said...

i totally remember where i was too. what a devastating memory to have. but i too am so grateful to be an american. still the most wonderful country on our planet. and thanks so much to all who are serving to protect our country. you are all in our prayers.